20130217

Science and Love


SCIENCE begins with G as in LOVE

Wednesday Readings for February 13, 2013

The citations below are part of the ongoing internal conversation of the Christian Science Pastor, The King James Version of the Bible (in BLUE) and the Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures (in RED) by Mary Baker Eddy. This portion of the conversation begins with the creation of a home for man made in the image and likeness of God. Within the home, man, male and female respond to the command of God to be fruitful, multiply and in marital chastity to fill the home until the day that there is no more giving and receiving in marriage.

HOME    

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
   And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
And the evening and the morning were the first day.
   And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
And the evening and the morning were the second day.
   And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: ... Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
And the evening and the morning were the third day.
   And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.    And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. ... And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply...
And the evening and the morning were the fifth day. (1) Genesis

   Home is the dearest spot ...
   Pilgrim on earth, thy home is heaven, stranger thou art the guest of God. (A) Marriage, Footsteps of Truth)
LIVING CREATURES

   And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.  (2) Genesis

    Is not the propagation of the human species a greater responsibility, a more solemn charge, than the culture of your garden or the raising of stock to increase your flocks and herds?  (B)  Marriage

MAN

   And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion ... So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: ... And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.
And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. (3) Genesis

    Marriage is the legal and moral provision for generation among human kind. (C) Marriage)

   Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: (4) Genesis

   And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark  (5) Luke

    Until the spiritual creation is discerned intact, is apprehended and understood, and His kingdom is come as in the vision of the Apocalypse, — where the corporeal sense of creation was cast out, and its spiritual sense was revealed from heaven, — marriage will continue, subject to such moral regulations as will secure increasing virtue.  (D) Marriage

ABRAM

   Marriage is the legal and moral provision for generation among human kind. Until the spiritual creation is discerned intact, is apprehended and understood, and His kingdom is come as in the vision of the Apocalypse, — where the corporeal sense of creation was cast out, and its spiritual sense was revealed from heaven, — marriage will continue, subject to such moral regulations as will secure increasing virtue.
Union of the masculine and feminine qualities constitutes completeness. The masculine mind reaches a higher tone through certain elements of the feminine, while the feminine mind gains courage and strength through masculine qualities. These different elements conjoin naturally with each other, and their true harmony is in spiritual oneness. Both sexes should be loving, pure, tender, and strong. The attraction between native qualities will be perpetual only as it is pure and true, bringing sweet seasons of renewal like the returning spring.
   What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder (E) Marriage

   Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
   And it came to pass, when he was come near to enter into Egypt, that he said unto Sarai his wife, Behold now, I know that thou art a fair woman to look upon: Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see thee, that they shall say, This is his wife: and they will kill me, but they will save thee alive. Say, I pray thee, thou art my sister: that it may be well with me for thy sake; and my soul shall live because of thee.
   And it came to pass, that, when Abram was come into Egypt, the Egyptians beheld the woman that she was very fair. The princes also of Pharaoh saw her, and commended her before Pharaoh: and the woman was taken into Pharaoh's house. And he entreated Abram well for her sake:
   And the Lord plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai Abram's wife.
   And Pharaoh called Abram, and said, What is this that thou hast done unto me? why didst thou not tell me that she was thy wife? Why saidst thou, She is my sister? so I might have taken her to me to wife: now therefore behold thy wife, take her, and go thy way.
   And Abram went up out of Egypt, he, and his wife  (6)  Genesis 

ABRAHAM

   From the logic of events we learn that selfishness and impurity alone are fleeting, and that wisdom will ultimately put asunder what she hath not joined together.  
   Marriage should improve the human species, becoming a barrier against vice, a protection to woman, strength to man, and a centre for the affections.
(F) Marriage

   And Abraham journeyed from thence toward the south country,
   And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister: and Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah.
   But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man's wife.
   But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, Lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation? … in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands have I done this.
   And God said unto him in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her.
   Then Abimelech called Abraham, and said unto him, What hast thou done unto us? and what have I offended thee, that thou hast brought on me and on my kingdom a great sin? thou hast done deeds unto me that ought not to be done.
   And Abraham said, Because I thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this place; and they will slay me for my wife's sake. And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife. ...I said unto her, This is thy kindness which thou shalt shew unto me; at every place whither we shall come, say of me, He is my brother.
   And Abimelech took sheep, and oxen, and menservants, and womenservants, and gave them unto Abraham, and restored him Sarah his wife.
(7) Genesis

   A mutual understanding should exist before this union and continue ever after, for deception is fatal to happiness.
   The nuptial vow should never be annulled, so long as its moral obligations are kept intact; but the frequency of divorce shows that the sacredness of this relationship is losing its influence, and that fatal mistakes are undermining its foundations. Separation never should take place, and it never would, if both husband and wife were genuine Christian Scientists.  Science inevitably lifts one's being higher in the scale of harmony and happiness. (G) Marriage

ISAAC

   Matrimony should never be entered into without a full recognition of its enduring obligations on both sides. There should be the most tender solicitude for each other's happiness, and mutual attention and approbation should wait on all the years of married life.    
   Soul has infinite resources with which to bless mankind, and happiness would be more readily attained and would be more secure in our keeping, if sought in Soul. Higher enjoyments alone can satisfy the cravings of immortal man. We cannot circumscribe happiness within the limits of personal sense. The senses confer no real enjoyment.
   The good in human affections must have ascendency over the evil and the spiritual over the animal, or happiness will never be won. The attainment of this celestial condition would improve our progeny, diminish crime, and give higher aims to ambition.
(H) Marriage

   And Abraham said unto his eldest servant of his house, … go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac.
   And the servant took ten camels of the camels of his master, and departed; … unto the city of Nahor.
   And he said, O Lord God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham.
   And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, … And the man bowed down his head, and worshipped the Lord.
   And Rebekah had a brother, and his name was Laban: and Laban ran out unto the man, unto the well. And he said, Come in, thou blessed of the Lord; wherefore standest thou without? for I have prepared the house, and room for the camels.
   And the man came into the house:
   And there was set meat before him to eat: but he said, I will not eat, until I have told mine errand.  
   And he said, Speak on.
   And he said, I am Abraham's servant. … 
And my master made me swear, saying, thou shalt go unto my father's house, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son.
   And I came this day unto the well, and said, O Lord God of my master Abraham, if now thou do prosper my way which I go: Behold, I stand by the well of water; and it shall come to pass, that when the virgin cometh forth to draw water, and I say to her, Give me, I pray thee, a little water of thy pitcher to drink; And she say to me, Both drink thou, and I will also draw for thy camels: let the same be the woman whom the Lord hath appointed out for my master's son.
   And before I had done speaking in mine heart, behold, Rebekah came forth with her pitcher on her shoulder; and she went down unto the well, and drew water: and I said unto her, Let me drink, I pray thee.
   And she made haste, and let down her pitcher from her shoulder, and said, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: so I drank, and she made the camels drink also.
   And I asked her, and said, Whose daughter art thou?  
   And she said, The daughter of Bethuel, Nahor's son, whom Milcah bare unto him:
and I put the earring upon her face, and the bracelets upon her hands.
   And I bowed down my head, and worshipped the Lord, and blessed the Lord God of my master Abraham, which had led me in the right way to take my master's brother's daughter unto his son.

And now if ye will deal kindly and truly with my master, tell me: and if not, tell me; that I may turn to the right hand, or to the left.
   Then Laban and Bethuel answered and said, The thing proceedeth from the Lord: we cannot speak unto thee bad or good.   Behold, Rebekah is before thee, take her, and go, and let her be thy master's son's wife, as the Lord hath spoken.
   And they called Rebekah, and said unto her, Wilt thou go with this man?  
   And she said, I will go.
   And Isaac went out to meditate in the field at the eventide: and he lifted up his eyes, and saw, and, behold, the camels were coming.
   And the servant told Isaac all things that he had done. And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: (8) Genesis

JACOB

    The scientific morale of marriage is spiritual unity. If the propagation of a higher human species is requisite to reach this goal, then its material conditions can only be permitted for the purpose of generating.
   The beautiful in character is also the good, welding indissolubly the links of affection. (I) Marriage

   Rebekah … called Jacob her younger son, and said unto him, … flee thou to Laban my brother to Haran;
   And Isaac called Jacob, … Arise, go to Padanaram, to the house of Bethuel thy mother's father; and take thee a wife from thence of the daughters of Laban thy mother's brother.
   And that Jacob obeyed his father and his mother, and was gone to Padanaram; ... and came into the land of the people of the east.
   And he said unto them, Know ye Laban the son of Nahor?  
   And they said, We know him.
   And he said unto them, Is he well?  
   And they said, He is well: and, behold, Rachel his daughter cometh with the sheep.
   And Jacob kissed Rachel, and lifted up his voice, and wept.
   … when Laban heard the tidings of Jacob his sister's son, that he ran to meet him, and embraced him, and kissed him, and brought him to his house.
   And Laban said unto Jacob, Because thou art my brother, shouldest thou therefore serve me for nought? tell me, what shall thy wages be?
   And Jacob loved Rachel; and said, I will serve thee seven years for Rachel thy younger daughter.
   And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her.
   And Jacob said unto Laban, Give me my wife, for my days are fulfilled, that I may go in unto her.
   And it came to pass, that in the morning, behold, it was Leah: and he said to Laban, What is this thou hast done unto me? did not I serve with thee for Rachel? wherefore then hast thou beguiled me?
   And Laban said, It must not be so done in our country, to give the younger before the firstborn. Fulfil her week, and we will give thee this also for the service which thou shalt serve with me yet seven other years.
   And Jacob did so, and fulfilled her week: and he gave him Rachel his daughter to wife also.
   And God remembered Rachel, ... And she conceived, and bare a son; … And she called his name Joseph;
(9) Genesis 

JOSEPH

   Infidelity to the marriage covenant is the social scourge of all races, "the pestilence that walketh in darkness, . . . the destruction that wasteth at noonday."  The commandment, "Thou shalt not commit adultery," is no less imperative than the one, "Thou shalt not kill."
   Chastity is the cement of civilization and progress.  Without it there is no stability in society, and without it one cannot attain the Science of Life.
   The higher nature of man is not governed by the lower;
(J) Marriage

   And Joseph was brought down to Egypt; and Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh, captain of the guard, an Egyptian, bought him … And the Lord was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man;
   And his master saw that the Lord was with him, and that the Lord made all that he did to prosper in his hand. And Joseph found grace in his sight, and he served him:
   And it came to pass after these things, that his master's wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me.
   But he refused, and said unto his master's wife, Behold, my master wotteth not what is with me in the house, and he hath committed all that he hath to my hand; There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?
(10)  Genesis 

RUTH

   
If the foundations of human affection are consistent with progress, they will be strong and enduring.
Marriage should signify a union of hearts. (K) Marriage

   ...the woman was left of her two sons and her husband.
   And Naomi said unto her two daughters in law, Go, return each to her mother's house: the Lord deal kindly with you, as ye have dealt with the dead, and with me. The Lord grant you that ye may find rest, each of you in the house of her husband.  
   Then she kissed them; and they lifted up their voice, and wept. … Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her.
   And Ruth said, Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.
   So Naomi returned, and Ruth the Moabitess, her daughter in law, with her, which returned out of the country of Moab: and they came to Bethlehem in the beginning of barley harvest.
   Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi, Let me now go to the field, and glean ears of corn after him in whose sight I shall find grace.  
   And she said unto her, Go, my daughter.
   Then said Boaz unto his servant that was set over the reapers, Whose damsel is this?
   And the servant that was set over the reapers answered and said, It is the Moabitish damsel that came back with Naomi out of the country of Moab:
   Then said Boaz unto Ruth, Hearest thou not, my daughter?  Go not to glean in another field, neither go from hence, but abide here fast by my maidens:  … It hath fully been shewed me, all that thou hast done unto thy mother in law since the death of thine husband: and how thou hast left thy father and thy mother, and the land of thy nativity, and art come unto a people which thou knewest not heretofore. The Lord recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the Lord God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust.
   So she kept fast by the maidens of Boaz to glean unto the end of barley harvest and of wheat harvest; and dwelt with her mother in law.
   Then went Boaz up to the gate, … And he took ten men of the elders of the city, and said, Sit ye down here.  And they sat down.
   And he said unto the kinsman, Naomi, that is come again out of the country of Moab, selleth a parcel of land, which was our brother Elimelech's: … What day thou buyest the field of the hand of Naomi, thou must buy it also of Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of the dead, to raise up the name of the dead upon his inheritance.
   And the kinsman said, I cannot redeem it for myself, … Buy it for thee.  So he drew off his shoe.
   And Boaz said unto the elders, and unto all the people, Ye are witnesses this day, that I have bought all that was Elimelech's, and all that was Chilion's and Mahlon's, of the hand of Naomi. Moreover Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of Mahlon, have I purchased to be my wife, to raise up the name of the dead upon his inheritance, that the name of the dead be not cut off from among his brethren, and from the gate of his place: ye are witnesses this day.
   And all the people that were in the gate, and the elders, said, We are witnesses.
   So Boaz took Ruth, and she was his wife:
(11) Genesis

    Beauty, wealth, or fame is incompetent to meet the demands of the affections, and should never weigh against the better claims of intellect, goodness, and virtue. Happiness is spiritual, born of Truth and Love. It is unselfish; therefore it cannot exist alone, but requires all mankind to share it. (L) Marriage

MARRIAGE

   Until it is learned that God is the Father of all, marriage will continue. Let not mortals permit a disregard of law which might lead to a worse state of society than now exists. Honesty and virtue ensure the stability of the marriage covenant. Spirit will ultimately claim its own, — all that really is, — and the voices of physical sense will be forever hushed.   
   There will ensue a fermentation over this as over many other reforms, until we get at last the clear straining of truth, and impurity and error are left among the lees. ... Matrimony, which was once a fixed fact among us, must lose its present slippery footing, and man must find permanence and peace in a more spiritual adherence.
   The mental chemicalization, which has brought conjugal infidelity to the surface, will assuredly throw off this evil, and marriage will become purer when the scum is gone.
Furthermore, the time cometh of which Jesus spake, when he declared that in the resurrection there should be no more marrying nor giving in marriage, but man would be as the angels.  
   Jesus said, "The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:  But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage."    
   No longer to marry or to be "given in marriage" neither closes man's continuity nor his sense of increasing number in God's infinite plan. Spiritually to understand that there is but one creator, God, unfolds all creation, confirms the Scriptures, brings the sweet assurance of no parting, no pain, and of man deathless and perfect and eternal. (M) Marriage


And so it is...
___________________________
CITATIONS
___________________________

SCIENCE begins with G as in LOVE

 BLUE numeric citations -- The King James Version of the Bible
RED alpha citations -- Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy

HOME
( 1) Genesis 1:1,3,5 And the(to day.); 1:6,8 And the(to day.); 1:9,11,13(to day.); 1:14,15,19(to day.),20,22(to multiply),23(to day)
( A) 58:21 (to spot); 254:31-32 Marriage, Footsteps of Truth
LIVING CREATURES
( 2) Genesis 1:24
( B) 61:24-27 Marriage
MAN
( 3) Genesis 1:26(to dominion),27male(to them),28 (to it:),30and it was so,31And the
( C) 56:7-8
( 4) Genesis 2:24 (to : )
( 5) Luke 17:26,27(to 5th ,)
( D) 56:8-14 Marriage
ABRAM
( E) 57:4; 56:-4 Marriage
( 6) Genesis 12:1,11-16(to :),17-19; 13:1(to 3rd ,)
ABRAHAM
( F) 60:12-18 Marriage
( 7) Genesis 20:1(to ,),2And,3But,4But,5in(to this.),6And,9,10 What (to ?),11,12, 13 I s
aid(to brother.),14(to Abimelech),14 restored,16(to said,),16 behold (to other:)

( G) 59:24-3 Marriage
ISAAC
( H) 59:1; 60:29-9 Marriage
( 8) Genesis 24:2(to ,),4 go,10 (to ;),10 unto,12,15(to 5th ,),26,29,31,32 And(to :),33,34,37(to 2nd ,),38 thou,42-51,58,63,66,67(to :)
JACOB
( I) 61:30-2; 60:6-8 Marriage
( 9) Genesis 27:42Rebekah(to Rebekah),43flee; 28:1(to ,),2,7; 29:1,5,6,11,13when(to .),15,18,20,21,25-28; 30:22(to Rachel),23(to ;),24 (to ;)
JOSEPH
( J) 56:15; 57:1; 62:27(to ;) Marriage 
(10) Genesis 39:1(to him),2(to ;),3,4(to :),7-9
RUTH
( K) 64:17 (to .); 65:1-4 (to altar),7-8 (to .) Marriage
(11) Ruth 1:5the,8,9,14Orpah,16,17,22; 2:2,5,6,8,11 It,12,23; 4:1(to ,),2,3,5What,6(to 2nd ,),8-11 Buy(to .),13(to :) 
( L) 57:15
MARRIAGE
( M) 64:26; 65:20-23,25-32; 69:26; 69:10 Marriage 

130213 SJC-W
____________________

Link to post:  
Reader: +Carolyn St.Charles
Document with links:  
Prelude: Medley: "Love never fails", "Gift of Love", "Love our Mother ever near"
Hymns:  #406, #217, MBE#32
Postlude: "Eagle"
Synonyms for God:  Life, Truth, Love, Soul, Spirit, Mind, Principle 
Ideas:  Creation, home, man, marriage

HASHTAGS: #Genesis #home #man #marriage #adultery #BIBLE #SCIENCEandHEALTH #MaryBakerEddy #SynonymforGod #LIFE #TRUTH #LOVE #GOD #Creation #man  #Abram #Sarai  #Abraham #Sarah  #Isaac #Rebekah  #Jacob #Rachel  #Joseph   #Boaz #Ruth  #SCIENCE #ChristianScience 


 >:<:><:><:>:<

...

No comments: